6/9/07

Beth - My Best Friend and Sister At The Same Time


Beth and I are 15 years apart in age, which means that in our formative years, we didn't have much of a relationship. Beth assures me that she was my primary babysitter and walked 500 miles with me screaming on her shoulder, but yet... no evidence of this has yet surfaced. No pix or videos. Boo Yah.

During the 80's, Beth and I "officially met" each other in her home in Michigan. I was 17, and she was 32. Highlights of that Michigan visit: my must-have makeup kit the size of a large pizza; a 65 degree summer yet I was in my Caribbean bikini and sporting a walnut tan; no male under 30 in sight (except for the mentally-challenged group home down the street, which was not an option); The Rocky Horror Picture Show initiation; the MTV initiation; the "club" we went to where I was asked "You aren't from around here are you?" ... (I guess my mini skirt and blue moccasins threw them off in the Heartland).

Since then, she has married a wonderful man, Jeff, and he will get his own post. More on Jeff later.

I am sorry I missed their wedding, but I WAS 8 months pregnant at the time. More on that later, too.

Beth has the life I always wanted (and still do): years of education, reading time, the time and ability to be creative and an assortment of eclectic friends.

Since the 90's, Beth and I have become very close. She and I were the pillars of normalcy during our parents' deaths... that alone could bond sisters together, but... given the circumstances, SUPER GLUE.

She and I have spent too few hours laughing and talking... I am soooo glad we are related and sooo sorry we missed so many years of sisterhood.

Eventually, I will post my all-time favorite video of Beth, trying to help me out with some wine on our visit in 2003. I could watch this video forever and never stop laughing. I am having technical issues.

Needless to say, sommelier she is NOT. But my sister she IS and I am forever glad of that fact.

I love you Beth.

1 comment:

Beth said...

You forgot the part where I was walking on WATER for those 500 miles. And the bit about the diapers and ear infections.