7/15/07

HUH??



While at my neighborhood gun store, I noticed a man attempting to purchase a large rifle with a SCOPE. Gunslinger informed me that this is a gun meant to shoot at objects far, far away. (And certainly not at Lambies, from any distance.)

A gun purchase of any type at this location would normally not perk my ears up... but this man conducted his entire transaction in another language than English. Hmmm...

The clerk asked him for his driver's license, in another language. Alright, I speak that language, so I eavesdropped...

The clerk told him that as a non-citizen, when he returned to pick up his gun in 10 days, he would need to provide proof of residency, like some utility bills or a rental agreement. The gun purchaser seemed confused. (Mind you, at this point, the clerk's fluency in the other-than-English language was atrocious and I was tempted to jump in to translate).... The purchaser indicated he did not, and could not produce, the documents required. The clerk told him the purchaser would need them to take possession of the rifle.

My eavesdropping ended when Gunslinger and I left the building... but my mind was racing.

WAIT WAIT WAIT said WoodysMom. How can someone who is not a citizen and who doesn't speak English buy a rifle with a scope?! This alone makes me concerned.

What is he going to do with said rifle and scope? Is he going HUNTING?! And for what? Is he provisioning for a ... revolution of some sort??!!

I posed to Gunslinger, just suppose we move to another non-English speaking country and decide to purchase a rifle. Would said foreign entity allow a non-citizen, non-local-language speaking person purchase a firearm? Would they?

Why do we?

1 comment:

Beth said...

I don't know why we do. But it scares the crap out of me that anyone who isn't feeding their family on overpopulated deer who would starve anyway buys a gun.

Here in Hunting Country where people think November 15 is a National Holiday and ordained by God,(opening day of deer-hunting season) there's a lot of gun buying.

But then, people eat the mutant fish they catch out of the polluted Lakes, too.

It's enough to make you go Vegan, and if I could find a country as good as this one without guns, I'd move there. Did I mention how much I hate guns?